Colter Todd competes at only a handful of rodeos a year.
The three-time National Finals Rodeo qualifier made the most of his first rodeo of the season, combining with team roping header Derrick Begay to clock a 4.0-second run at the Gary Hardt Memorial Rodeo in Payson, Ariz., for the fastest team roping time of the week of May 18-24.
Colter qualified for three consecutive NFRs (2006-08) as a header. Now, the 37-year-old from Willcox, Ariz., heels.
He and Begay won the rodeo, each earning $1,458.
While the rodeo was Colter’s first of 2021, it kept Begay in the hunt to make the Wrangler NFR in Vegas this season. The eight-time NFR qualifier from Seba Dalkai, Ariz., is 21st in the PRCA | RAM World Standings as of May 24.
The other top runs and times are listed below.
· Ty Pope had the top bareback ride, posting an 85-point ride on New Frontier Rodeo’s Skip To My Lou at Abbyville (Kan.) Frontier Days May 22.
· Jacoby Talley’s steer wrestling run of 3.6 seconds at Rodeo Killeen (Texas) May 20 topped the chart.
· Stetson Wright posted the highest-scored ride of the 2021 season when he notched a 91.5-point ride aboard Big Bend Rodeo’s Kool Toddy in the final round to win the Veater Financial Group Battle of the Best in Coarsegold, Calif., May 22.
· John Douch had the fastest tie-down roping run of the week when he clocked an 8.0-second run May 20 in Killeen.
· Maddy Deerman stopped the clock in 2.2 seconds to post the fastest breakaway roping run in Payson May 21.
· Ashley Watkins had the fastest barrel racing time, finishing in 14.77 seconds at the Tate County Fair Rodeo in Senatobia, Miss., May 21.
· Trevor Kastner won the first round of the 43rd annual George Paul Memorial Xtreme Bull Riding in Del Rio, Texas, posting a 90.5-point ride aboard Stockyards Pro Rodeo’s Soy El Fuego May 22.
· Slade Wood had the fastest steer roping time, clocking in at 11.4 seconds May 22 at the Atoka (Okla.) Pro Rodeo.
For more information for Wrangler NFR, please visit www.nfrexperience.com. and ProRodeo.com Check out our latest news at www.wranglernfrlive.com or through social media at /LasVegasNFR and use #WranglerNFR.