Twenty-two-year-old, Coleman, Texas, cowboy Walt Arnold found himself in a groove over the weekend at the Gladewater (Texas) Round-Up Rodeo.
He clocked a 3.3-second run to earn the steer wrestling title, which also moved him into a tie for second for the fastest steer wrestling time in 2021. Denell Henderson also posted a 3.3 over the week, doing it at the Parker County Sheriff’s Posse Frontier Days and PRCA Rodeo June 8.
“I tell you what, I was pretty pumped after it, “Arnold said. “It looked like it could be pretty fast, I caught up to him in a really good spot to get the job done.”
RELATED: 2021 Leaderboard
He took home $2,591 for the win, bumping him up to 32nd in the PRCA | RAM World Standings. The win moves his yearly total to $10,857. He hopes this run can jumpstart his season as he works towards qualifying for his first Wrangler National Finals Rodeo.
“I’ve started riding Hunter Cure’s horses a little bit here before we leave for the summer, and it’s kind of nice to have a run like that,”Arnold said. “It definitely built my confidence and kind of got me fired up a little bit. We’re about to have a heck of a couple weeks, so it’s nice to get the ball rolling before we head out.”
He still has some work to do though to reach that Top 15. Riley Duvall is sitting in 15th with $17,619.
Below, are the other top times and rides for the week.
- Seth Hardwick posted the highest bareback ride of the week, recording a 90-point ride on Macza Pro Rodeo’s Ols Tubs Stevie Knicks in Weatherford, Texas, June 11.
- The team roping duo of Cash Duty and Boogie Ray wrapped up the Johnson County Sheriff’s Posse Rodeo in Cleburne, Texas, with a run of 3.9 June 9. But not to be outdone, Britt and Jake Smith recorded the exact time later that day.
- Shorty Garrett put together another impressive performance last week. He won the Fallon County Xtreme Broncs in Baker, Mont., with a 90.5-point ride on Outlawbuckers Rodeo’s Magic Carpet June 10.
- Shad Mayfield had the top tie-down roping time on the week, finishing with a time of 7.5 seconds in Gladewater June 11.
- Carlee Otero posted the best barrel racing time of the week, finishing with a time of 14.88 seconds to claim the Johnson County Sheriff’s Posse Rodeo title on June 10.
- Martha Angelone continues to shine in the lady’s breakaway roping. Last week, she had a 1.9-second run to win the Cleburne Breakaway Roping.
- J.B. Mauney scored a 90.5-point ride on United Pro Rodeo’s The Duke at the Parker County Sheriff’s Posse Frontier Days Xtreme Bulls event June 8. That was tied for the top score of the week when Sage Kimzey posted a 90.5-point ride a day later at the Gladewater Round-Up Xtreme Bulls.
- Garrett Hale showed why he’s one of the top steer ropers in the world last week. The Texas native posted a time of 8.9 to win the Parker County Sheriff’s Posse Frontier Days and PRCA Rodeo on June 10.
For more information for Wrangler NFR, please visit www.nfrexperience.com. and ProRodeo.com Check out our latest news at www.wranglernfrlive.com or through social media at /LasVegasNFR and use #WranglerNFR.