The Guymon (Okla.) Pioneer Days Rodeo is steeped in history and memorable performances.
Bull rider Tyler Smith had one of those performances.
The Fruita, Colo., cowboy had a 93-point ride on Pete Carr Pro Rodeo’s Rio Bravo to capture the win and the rodeo record in 2013.
“That was one of the highest-scored rides of my career,” Smith said. “I just remember he jumped out there and turned back into my hand right by the gate and he was going 100 mph. It was just kind of a blur. Anytime you’re 90 you’re happy because you know you’re going to win something.”
Smith, who retired following the 2016 National Finals Rodeo, won Guymon twice (2010 and 2013).
“I knew when I got on that last bull in 2016 that was it for me,” said Smith, 34. “I knew before I got on that bull, I was tired of being gone and it was time for me to do something else.”
Smith transitioned from rodeo into being a welder.
“I’m building fences and barns,” Smith said. “I also raise some bucking bulls and roping horses. My wife (Kirsten) and I like to rope and ride horses, so we do that.”
Cowboys will try to add their names to the Guymon record book this weekend. The ProRodeo Tour stop runs April 30 through May 2 and will be broadcast live on The Cowboy Channel and streamed on the PRCA on Cowboy Channel Plus App.
Guymon Rodeo records
• Total payout: $376,535, 2007
• All-around: $14,107, Cody Ohl, 2003
• Bareback riding: 90 points, Matt Mosher, 2005 (172 points on two head, Jason Havens, 2004)
• Steer wrestling: 2.9 seconds, Jason Miller, 2008 (10.9/3, Luke Branquinho, 2008; 16.3/4, Kirby Kaul, 2001)
• Team roping: 4.2 seconds, Nick Sartain/Blaine Vick, 2020, (20.0/3, Coleman Proctor/Jake Long, 2015; 35.5/4, Frank Graves/Monty Joe Petska, 2001)
• Saddle bronc riding: 91 points, Glen O’Neill, 2005 (172/2, O’Neill, 2005)
• Tie-down roping: 6.8 seconds, Tuf Cooper, 2017 (23.6/3, Hunter Herrin, 2012; 33.4/4, Fred Whitfield, 2006)
• Barrel racing: 15.83 seconds, Cassie Moseley, 2007 (33.32/2, Tammy Key-Fischer, 2008; 49.76/3, Moseley, 2007)
• Steer roping: 8.6 seconds, Dan Fisher, 1990 (Brian Garr, 41.0 seconds on three head, 2017; 63.1/5, Landon McClaugherty, 2009; 77.4/6, Guy Allen, 2000)
• Bull riding: 93 points, Tyler Smith, 2013 (179/2, Wesley Silcox, 2007)
For more information for Wrangler NFR, please visit www.nfrexperience.com. and ProRodeo.com Check out our latest news at www.wranglernfrlive.com or through social media at /LasVegasNFR and use #WranglerNFR.